Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Standing Out

After finishing pilates this morning, I had a slight dilemma. Since I was gone the whole weekend, I was completely out of food. I particularly wanted cereal and I didn't want to borrow any of my flatmate's goods.

Instead, I decided that I was going to ignore the social norms of Paris. I was going to throw a sweatshirt on and go grocery shopping in my soccer shorts and sneakers, even though it was 30 degrees outside. And I did.

Couldn't even count the number of stares I received on my way to the store. When I arrived at Carrefour, the grocery store I now frequent, five minutes before it was to open at nine, the wait in the cold almost made me regret my decision, almost. I felt completely scandalous walking around my neighborhood and couldn't help but let out some giggles as people gawked as I passed.

After my morning display, I went to my school to use the library and some printing (which is free!). Today, being February 1, marked my first full month in Paris and the first day I got to use my snazzy Navigo Metro pass. Basically, instead of using individual tickets like a tourist, I now have a magnetic card with my face on it to get onto the train :) Best part about it is that for a flat monthly fee, you can ride the metro as many times as you want.

After the library, I met up with Sophia, a friend from Cal, and we went to the Mussee d'Orsay--awesome museum. I love spending my afternoons in museums, it's super relaxing and stimulating.

I then headed home to eat a late lunch and quickly get ready for my first day of rock climbing class. I didn't know what the locker room situation would be, so I decided to just wear my leggings, tennis shoes, and sweatshirt, all topped off with a peacoat because it was FREEZING today. Again, I was entertained by all the odd expressions of those observing my outfit haha.

Rock climbing was really fun! I'm definitely looking forward to actually learning more about how to climb properly. The other students in the class are really friendly--it should be a great way to make some new friends :) Also, no problems with the knees so far!

Tomorrow is my first official day of classes. French in the morning and "Great Liberal Thinkers" in the afternoon. I am excited!

1 comment:

  1. Soooo loving the blogs! You're helping us get even more excited to come to Paris in April!

    ReplyDelete