Sunday, January 23, 2011

Eating my way around Paris...

I haven't eaten out THAT much, but since this week has been mainly orientation, I have spent more time getting to know other international students over pastries/dinner/coffee. It is also the only thing I have really been taking pictures of, despite still roaming around and seeing new parts of the city almost daily :)

First up is my first chaussons aux pommes (apple pastry). Bought it with my friend Sophia at this super overpriced, but VERY popular and delicious patisserie. They had some ridiculously fancy desserts in there...unfortunately I didn't take more pictures inside the shop (however my friend did so I am definitely planning on stealing them). The pastry was basically like eating an apple pie, just more flaky. Though quite yummy, I still prefer the almond croissant from my first week here.



I also went to my first proper crepe place the same day I had the above pastry. Since I was still kind of full, I shared a chicken, spinach, and creme fresh crepe with a friend. Unfortunately, I was underwhelmed. It was good, but nothing amazing (definitely added my own salt and pepper). However, it was still pretty so I took a picture :)



Today I FINALLY had roasted chestnuts off the street. We had a "buddy" scavenger hunt this afternoon. Basically, every international student is paired with a student from Sciences Po, and today was our first official activity, which was really just a two hour stroll through the city before closing at a bar. These chestnuts were the first thing on our "to do" list and they were awesome. Only about 2euro for a pretty big bag. I definitely plan to get more next time I am at Jardin de Luxembourg.



My "buddy" is an international student from Germany who is working on her masters. Really warm and kind lady, I'm excited to get to know her better.

At the bar after the scavenger hunt I had one glass on wine and a very lovely conversation with a young women from Finland and a friend from Berkeley. If you know me and alcohol, you know I rarely have more than one drink, and it is usually enough to make me sufficiently tipsy. Definitely had that experience today. I don't think I was even half way through the glass before feeling very relaxed and a little out of it haha.

After about an hour and a half at the bar, I headed out to dinner with students from my methodology course (we all got split up into smaller groups for the classes). I thought the restaurant would be fairly easy to find, but getting off the metro in the dark, coupled with being a bit tipsy, really hampered my ability to find the place/ask for directions properly in French (some of my friends here swear their French gets better with alcohol...mine, just like my English, gets worse). I was giving one last street a try with every intention of just heading home, when I found the restaurant. So glad I did....



This pasta was so good, and really reasonable even with the exchange rate that continues to become worse almost daily to my dismay... It was simply basil pasta, but it was definitely done right :) I didn't leave the restaurant until around 10:45. Some international students were going to a Canadian bar for some American football watching (Steelers and Jets I believe?), but I decided it was a much better plan to go home and chat with my parents and friends since the time difference on the weekends is quite perfect in the evenings :)

The last few days haven't been all orientation. I had a really lovely evening last night at a very Parisian venue where a local band was giving a free concert. It was a nice way to just relax and get to know a bunch of other girls attending Sciences Po this semester. My camera died on me so I only got this lousy picture...



It looks like they do a bunch of free music nights. I definitely plan to go back :)

Also had the night boat cruise on the Seine a few days ago. Only took pictures of the Eiffel Tower, but the ride was pretty enjoyable--besides the fact that it was below freezing outside and I had zero time to grab dinner after class and before the cruise. Definitely sank into a big bowl of cereal around midnight once I finally got home haha. French people don't seem to understand the concept of late night food...after the boat cruise and on the way to bars, we assumed we would have tons of food options. Negative..I think there is definitely money to be made for a munchies shack in one of the bar districts. Just saying :)



I am also super excited to report that I will be heading to Belgium this coming Thursday, staying through Monday. My classes don't really get going until the following week, so it is the perfect time to visit my friends in Brussels, who are kind enough to let me stay with them/show me around, before the stress of the semester begins. I'm sure there will be MANY pictures of Belgian waffles/beer/chocolate/awesomeness on the way, so watch out for that :)

No comments:

Post a Comment