Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Taking a break with Monet-Rodin

No update the last couple of days, largely because I haven't had anything too exciting to document or report. This entire week is orientation. I have optional lectures/activities during the day and then a two hour class during the evening on French methodology.

The French definitely have a different philosophy on writing/presenting knowledge. To simplify what I am being taught, think of it as a "mystery." You do not write a thesis here, but instead problemitize a very simple subject given to you. For example, the question might be, "Does the internet increase our liberties?" Instead of answering yes or no, you instead must define each of those terms (ie: does our refer to users? or does it refer to everyone globally, and therefore the lack of access to internet also interplays with notions of equality and inequality???).

Once you analyze every term, you attempt to create your "problematique" or what question you will be extrapolating, but again, there is no thesis. It is about the development of your argument leading up to some vague conclusion in the end. The French also stress the same notion in oral presentations, which are a big aspect of almost every class here.

It is definitely different, but also has been interesting to explore. I think it definitely allows for more creativity--students can inject their own perspective, educational background, personality, and passion into their chosen approach to the question.

I had a pretty lovely day. Went grocery shopping with a flatmate (currently munching on my favorite purchase of Lindt dark chocolate) and then met up with a fellow UC girl who lives near me to walk over to Sciences Po. It is about a 45-50 minute walk to my school, so not too bad. I went to an optional lecture in French about the history of Parisian fashion, which was pretty interesting. I definitely wasn't able to catch every word, but I did at least follow the main ideas.

After the lecture got out, I had about two hours before my methodology course. My friend Sophia suggested we go down to the Musse Rodin, which is literally just about a 10 minute walk from our school. Admission was free for international students, which was awesome, but I definitely would've paid the normal admission fee anyway. Monet is a pretty impressive fellow :)







There also was an exhibition of the contemporary sculptor Henry Moore. I really enjoyed his interpretation on the human figure.



After that, I headed to class. The unfortunate thing about my methodology class being in the evening (I didn't have a choice) is that it often conflicts with social activities of the welcome week. Tonight, our class was during "French Nibbles" (free wine, cheese, and bread). Our professor was nice enough to give us a break to grab some of the grub, but by the time we got there all the cheese was gone. I still got some delicious bread and wine, so I'm not complaining :)

When class finished I headed home to make some real food. Tomorrow is more of the same, except in the evening we are having a boat cruise on the Seine, which should be beautiful and also extremely cold. I'm planning on lots of layers tomorrow! I'm also trying to figure out a last minute trip. I just found out yesterday that courses in English don't actually begin until February 1, so I have absolutely nothing next week in terms of classes...hopefully there will be an exciting update on this soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment