Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Lazy Second Day

I woke up today at around 8 am Paris time, and honestly can say I feel pretty much adjusted to the time difference already. Went to bed around 7 pm, so I definitely got in lots of sleep, and slept well!

I also woke up incredibly hungry...I didn't eat very much yesterday largely because I think I was too exhausted/excited to notice hunger coupled with the fact that the sandwich I did buy once I made it to my apartment was basically mayonnaise and turkey (which if you know me well enough, you prob know I despise mayonnaise.)

I was determined to find something delicious to start out my real first day in Paris. I went back across the street to the same boulangerie I had purchased the failed sandwich of yesterday, but this time made the much more wise and scrumptious choice of an almond croissant.



Ya, tastes even better than it looks. Sinfully sweet and buttery and pretty cheap :) Took me nearly an hour to finish it, mind you the picture is under half of how big it was haha. Definitely put to shame the "croissant" American Airlines served upon arrival in Paris.

I also wanted to include some pictures of the street from my living room/dining room window (though the quality isn't so great). My apartment is definitely smack dab in the middle of all the Parisian action. Luckily, the bedrooms are in the back of the house, so the city noise doesn't come through at night





I went grocery shopping today. I figured I shouldn't allow myself to eat almond croissants for every meal. Finding cheddar cheese definitely took the most time as nearly all of one side of the grocery store was devoted to frommage. I'll definitely have to branch out and find new delicious choices. Learned a few things, like that eggs aren't refrigerated here. I initially left my eggs on the counter when I got back to my apartment, but I felt too strange and decided to put them back in the fridge haha. I was relieved to find that groceries weren't as expensive as I was expecting. Also, and probably most importantly, I found a French brand of peanut butter, so of course I have to try that :)

Anywho, I spent most of the day researching Paris in the apartment as well as tickets to Berlin and Copenhagen for hopefully trips soon to come! I did go on a short walk around the neighborhood to orient myself a bit more. Just down the street about 5-10 minutes is a really pretty park.





Also have found that Subway, KFC, McDonals, and Starbucks are all within a short walking distance haha. Definitely on my "to-do" list to eat at the McDonalds before I leave :)



That is all for today. It is only about 5 pm, but I am already feeling pretty tired (and the weather outside is wet and windy). Tomorrow I plan to venture out and do something touristy so stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. Love the view from your apartment! Send me your address when you get the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Order a "Royale with Cheese", a-la Pulp Fiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love following your adventures! We're planning a trip to Paris on the way to Copenhagen in April. Will definitely have to catch up with you!
    Karen McLaughlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your posts. Great cheese is out there, you will probably be an expert soon. I never use a cheese slicer at home but always did in Norway. They thought it was so funny when I used a knife to cut the cheese. no pun intended. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete